Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Video Game Technologies

I mentioned this in our latest forum posts for class, but the thought of video games as a useful tool for students. We always criticize children that have a tendency to just sit in front of a video game screen all day. However, some of the video games we have today are incredibly complex and can be used to teach wonderful things. I am most experienced (though I have not played in a year or so) with World of Warcraft. The systems involved in this game are complex. One has to navigate a world that has a lot of threats to the character and one of the best way is forming alliances with friends and others that play the game. People use a trade system, battle together, and typically use online conferencing technologies to improve such efforts. I wonder if we aren't overlooking one of the more interesting possibilities in teaching when we write off games like this. When one gets to the "end game content", things really get interesting. Players must form groups as large as 40 people (each person with a specific task within the group) as they take on computer generated content. The tasks can range from simple to incredibly difficult and requires the proper coordination, execution, and effort from all 40 group members. They react to new changes in the content and must adapt their play style to how the task is forming in front of them. This kind of interaction could possibly be used for educational purposes, I think, but how we use and direct such technologies would also be important.

3 comments:

  1. What a great post - you may want to check out Lucas Gillispie - he's a teacher who's using WoW - http://wowinschool.pbworks.com/ - his twitter http://twitter.com/pcstech

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think one key to using these games is having regular internet access for your students, either during class or at home. That's one thing I worry about when I think about incorporating these games into class. But I do agree that kids get really excited about educational games.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott, First of all love the title of your blog. Secondly, I like your approach to this week's topic of gaming. I myself am not much of a gamer. I have never been able to sit, and play one for long periods of time. I am one of those people who thinks the children of today spend way to much time in front of the tv playing games. However, I do see the value in using games as a way of teaching certain values (team work, diligence, completing tasks, etc...). I can definitely see gaming as a useful (moderated) tool to help teach difficult concepts.

    ReplyDelete