Saturday, November 27, 2010

Clinging to Technology

Has anyone else gotten to the point where they feel helpless with a dead cell phone? I was thinking the other day about how consistently we rely on the technology around us. Its not the worst thing in the world, after all we are teaching and hopefully using the technologies available to be effective human beings. It was interesting over Thanksgiving to attempt to make certain recipes... I couldn't have done it without googles help. What did we do before google? I think it softens us a little bit in the array of knowledge that we actually have. However, we also are simply using the tools available to us. I'm not sure where to draw the line on that. I do think that we should continue to strive to collect knowledge intellectually first while accessing what is available to us after that initial step. I really enjoy debates about this and how its supposed to look.

1 comment:

  1. Yep - I think we have gotten used to having the world at our fingertips. Before Google, I had to call Mom to get recipes, or look through cookbooks.

    On the other hand, I see fewer and fewer school/church cookbooks. Remember those? Everyone contributed a recipe. Sometimes they were sold to raise money. Mom has a stack of them in her kitchen. There are some great recipes in those old mimeographed pages! I think we're less likely to value this kind of community project when all the recipes we could possibly want are online. It's a little sad.

    ReplyDelete