Friday, March 25, 2011

Radical Blogging- bookhenge

I understand the idea of Radical Change. I know that the shifting world will constantly shift how literature is being produced, published, and distributed. A lot of our classes at NC State manage to challenge us to teach in light of these changes. I think that is a good thing. However, when it comes to literature, to poetry and prose, I am not particularly open to "Radical Change". This was only further confirmed by my reading of "Skeleton Sky". My reaction was honestly, "who cares?". I know this isn't the most open perspective to have, but I can't really help how I read something. I'm so used to artistic productions of literature. To reading Seamus Heaney's poetry and watching how he artistically breaks the rules involved, that this particular poem was just noise to me. I clicked, and clicked, and clicked. It seemed to lead me no where.
What does this mean for me?

1) I personally won't make too much poetry or prose that is under the radical category. Do I want to write a multigenre book one day? Yes, I have it planned out. But this poetry accessing digital tools so that it can be viewed in that format was just odd to me.
2) Would I use this as a tool in a classroom? Absolutely. I'd probably have to read a lot more literature and figure out what that poetry is supposed to look like/express/be. I thought about Skeleton Sky from two perspectives... As a creator, I didn't really find it that appealing. As a teacher, I would have no idea how to grade a work like that. I suppose I need to know the person, and knowing them would help, but I just had no reference for hw good/bad or acceptable it is.
     

I actually read a lot of the books on Dresang's list. I remember liking a lot of the books listed because of the reasons described for making them an agent for "radical change" at a given point in history. I thought of Will Grayson, Will Grayson as a representative of radical change. The way the two authors incorporate facebook posts, IM, etc. It brings the true high school experience further into the picture by accessing something that is digital. I also thought of Persepolis. Graphica continues to enhance literature by adding a second sense (that of sight) and appealing to a new way to read something. I really enjoyed the read because it was no longer just on me to imagine what the author had to go through. It enhanced the comedy AND sincerity of the work in my opinion. I thought Angela's surveys were very telling... For whatever reason, I assumed that most students would have read a graphic novel. I figured they were a popular feature of that generation and thus were very common amongst students. It seems clear that a lot of students have heard about and want to read graphic novels, but some don't even understand the concept. Still others have attempted to read them, but found them confusing and unenjoyable. For the most part, however, students wanted them to be incorporated in curriculum.

The key to me in Angela's article is the general belief that graphic novels bring out desires to read in "reluctant readers, especially males." Say no more. If getting guys to read is a particularly challenging part of English classes across the nation, why aren't we implementing the things they respond best to? Also, I love the thought taht most graphic novels are redos of classic stories. We don't have to jump to something completely new and foreign that way. It acts as a way to ease into adding these to the curriculum. I just think we should constantly strive to include things that make reading more attractive to our students. If that means incorporating graphic novels into our classroom, then it needs to happen.

bookhenge

8 comments:

  1. Scott,

    I have also noticed from the survey that a lot of students have heard about and want to read graphic novels, but some don't even comprehend the perception. Still others have tried to read them, but found them puzzling and unpleasant. Don't you think that this lack of connection between the young adults and graphica is a deliberate sin committed by the rigid 'law' of the traditional curriculum and by the tremendously linear minds of the traditional educators?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott --

    I feel like "noise" is a very apt description of Skeleton Sky in my eyes. I feel like the author was trying to push the boundaries of poetry and have it be considered Radical Change, but I just felt confused and frustrated. Not at all inspired. You also bring up a good point about "WG, WG" being considered Radical Change, considering the authors way of relating to YA readers.

    I enjoyed reading your post.

    Cheers,

    Frederik

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was totally frustrated by Skeleton Key too. I agree that I would have to do a lot of research before I would know how to teach or evaluate such a work in class. Initially, that was the problem with reading Skeleton Key. I'm a graduate student for heaven's sake! I should be able to make sense of what I read. I was looking for common threads in the metaphors that would signal a direction, but I never found one. Once I "let go" of the navigation, I enjoyed the process.

    It sounds as though you have made peace with Radical Change Theory. I have not been so lucky. I agree that technology drives the way we read and publish, but I don't understand how books that were written in the early twentieth century fall into that category. I can't quite wrap my mind around it. Maureen's discussion of voice has helped a bit, but I've got a ways to go on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant "Skeleton Sky", not "key". My daughter watched "The Skeleton Key" this afternoon......

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am impressed with your understanding of Radical Change as you have experienced in the books you have read--even more impressed that you have read so many of them. I was also comforted that your reading of "Skeleton Sky" was similar to mine. Even though I didn't say it in my blog entry, I too feel such a strong connection to traditional literature and its artistry. I really will have to work to embrace the new Radical Change as you have and work to be more open-minded and inclusive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think a lot of us felt unsure of what to make of Skeleton Sky, but I think interactive poetry is an interesting concept, and I'm not sure that there is one particular meaning. Just like in literature, the reader and author are co-creators. The reader brings as much meaning to the text as the author does.

    You raise some good points about graphic novels. My 12-year-old despises graphic novels. She finds the pictures too small and distracting. She prefers words to diagrams or drawings in learning (just like I do). I suppose neither of us are visual learners.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beware! The genres are blurring. I'll look forward to seeing your future multigenre project you've planned, Scott. You're reflective when you admit that your perspective may not be that open and that's a really healthy attitude. Aronson encourages us to accept that art is evolving and to encourage our students to lead that evolution/revolution. So what's up with this sampling/remixing creation? I have a feeling we've a lot to learn and stay abreast of is we want to make sure we're not relics teaching classics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is the concept of "radical change" redundant? Change forces us to reevalutate our experiences and to fit our perceptions to the new "changed" reality.

    ReplyDelete