Monday, May 2, 2011

ALP Reflection- bookhenge

I think the majority of my thoughts about the ALP were documented in my video, but there is one thing that I really wanted to reflect upon and didn't get a chance to in the video... I am ready to teach. I mean, is anyone ready to teach? I just mean mentally and based on my hopes and where I'm at right now, I just want to be in the classroom... Is that so much to ask for? Next spring feels miles away and I know that I'll have a great time writing in the mean time and learning about a lot of different things, but the ALP experience taught me that I'm ready to be in a classroom and cannot wait for the opportunity to teach students. I realized how truly rewarding the teaching process is and how I am ready to experience that with a full classroom. I know that it will be stressful, that my students will not want to write at times or read at others, and I know that not everything is perfect in the world of education... but I am ready to apply the theories I've learned and get into some hands-on learning. It was amazing to see a student's process... I know my writing process, I know what I like to do and the setting in which I write and it was so great to see that my understanding of process is meant to guide students to their process, not simply to be replicated. There was so much to be learned from this process, but the thing that I came away with, pulsating like a loud drum, was that I want to teach and soon.

bookhenge

1 comment:

  1. Way to go, Inklings! Scott, your teen writing group gave you a delicious taste of what it feels like to teach. You're realistic enough to know that all of your students won't be Inklings but you'll learn quickly how far a little success can take you.

    Please do post your ALP video starring a few Inklings here. It will be great for you and for all the teachers who visit to learn of your project to see it here.

    ReplyDelete